Monday, July 24, 2006

27. Payless Redesign.

Ok, here's the new Payless ShoeSource look. I won't say as much about it as the last Mastercard fiasco (because that was terrible on a whole other level.) It's probably a little trendy and probably will not stand the test of time - but the one thing that does make me cringe is the growing problem of using bland, modern fonts in logotypes that render the identity almost meaningless and certainly blends in with the 50,000 other fonts of the same ilk. Don't get me wrong, I have no love for Cooper Black (the font in the old mark), it's just that all these new logos and their typography have no real personality. A million fonts to choose from (or create) and we get the same ones over and over again - as if the point is to look like everyone else. I (and others) have a suspsicion that marketing directors look at other major identity redesigns and figure if they do the same thing, they'll keep their jobs.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

graphics-sensei

can you please explain me what is for the circle?

it looks to me a giant eyeball gazing up to heavens.

or a lock of curly hairs.

what is this to do with cheap shoes?

7/24/2006 01:47:00 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Maybe cooper black does in fact have it's purpose...like saying cheap. Someone here on the west coast said the 'P'
looked like Publix's logo (which is a grocery chain. I think.) I think they are using it in a fun way on their site and using the related design elements on the print just fine - but as a mark it just looks like you'd do better giving the assignment to a bunch of monkeys. It looks like it came out of a computer logo-a-matic program.

7/24/2006 02:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you know of the logomatic!?! My secret EEEENVENTION!

SPY! A curse on you! May your logos forever be bland, and reproduce poorly!

Phew Phew. I speet in your general DIrection.

7/24/2006 03:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home