Tuesday, March 13, 2007

90. Kerning Online.

Today, a former production artist that I worked with asked about a site that I had sent to him over a year ago. On this site – by the University of Delaware's Department of Visual Communications – you can test and train your kerning eye against the experts using various typefaces. This little exercise demonstrates the importance of kerning and is a great tool for aspiring designers. (Login using guest.) Though, I'm not too sure about the professional recommendation for BEAD, most examples are dead-on.

1 Comments:

Blogger gdegal13 said...

This was a really great excercise. I particularly like the "hint" part of the process because it is like a cheat sheet and you can learn from what they explain about the letterspacing. I found some to be a little...how shall I put this...wrong : ) I know I probably just need to take more type courses but some of them did seem a little off. It was nice to get an explanation after comparing with that shift thing that the letters do to show you the right way to kern the word. I liked the exercises a lot, I hope to get better at this kerning thing and this seems like a great way to practice.

3/22/2007 10:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home