Sunday, September 03, 2006

35. The Secret Art of Dr. Seuss.

I was on my way to the Sausalito Art Festival, in the beautiful seaside town when I happened upon an art gallery of work that had an odd familiarity to it. They were showing the wildly imaginative creations of Theodor Seuss Geisel's (aka: Dr. Seuss.) "Seuss single-handedly forged a new genre of art that falls somewhere between the Surrealist Movement of the early 20th Century and the inspired nonsense of a precocious child’s classroom doodles." Maybe I have been living under a rock, but I had no idea that his political, advertising and personal art was as varied and layered – and maybe even more thoughtful than the children's books that we've all read. My favorite is his collection of 'unorthodox taxidermy.' I left having a deeper appreciation for his talent.

Here are some camera-phone-pictures I took (non-flash, of course.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home