Thursday, March 29, 2007

92. Ad of the Week. I think.

I have walked past this board everyday for the past three weeks. And because I'm an ad/design nerd, I've asked myself several questions: Do I like it only because it features a skull? Do I not like it because the designer didn't use the Economist font (a proprietary, Erik Spiekermann designed font family, I believe. Originally called Ecotype but now something like "The official Economist, you only wish you could buy it Font Family?") I think the Economist font would look more spine-like, though I recognize that it's easier to set a monospaced font vertically. Back to my questions: do I like it because it continues the economist tradition of very clean, quick (and red) communication? Do I not like it because it betrays that witty copy-driven tradition by going all vector-art on us? (Though they've gone visual many times before. View what is possibly my favorite ad of all time here.) Do I like it because of the clever way of using the magazine's masthead as the logo? Do I not like it because this also bucks their usual logotype sign-off? Do I like the headline or do I think it's a cliche? (The economist ads always walk a fine line between pun and clever word-play; most often on the good side.) Do I like it because it's almost impossible to ignore due to it's size and location? Do I not like it because someone felt the need to over-explain what they do with 'Insights on the world, weekly' which is only vaguely related to the 'having an opinion' thing? Ultimately, after three weeks, I think I have decided that I don't really like it – mainly because it could easily have been better. That's always frustrating to see. Or maybe I like it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's interesting that the comment under this link states "I wonder how they can get away with not even mentioning their name." yet, the economist name is exceptionally placed about 3/4 of the way down the brain in the middle, the ONLY place you can make out the masthead of the mag in the entire brain...

4/27/2007 01:07:00 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

i know - a lot of people miss it. But I think economist readers don't, and I'm glad they didn't dumb it down by putting it on the bottom right corner. Sooooo nice.

4/27/2007 01:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AND it's even sweeter for the club that does get it ;)

4/27/2007 03:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home