Friday, October 13, 2006

47. Duffy & Partners.

Have you ever realized that one agency or studio is reponsible for a lot of your favorite work? Well, Duffy & Partners is that design firm for me. They are big time - and their founder, Joe Duffy, has been around awhile now - but inevitably I'd see a package design that stood out on the shelf, or an identity system that was phenomonally executed - and be surprised that it's one of theirs. Suffice it to say, I'm no longer surprised, I just assume Duffy did it. If you are studying branding and design, you should look at the great work they do for mostly conservative clients, with real budgets and real constraints.

(Pay particular attention to Smart Start, a beautiful example of great design sense in an ugly category. Unfortunately, the newer versions have been junked up to look more like the rest of the cereal aisle...which used to be a lot nicer. Yeah, back when Trix only had four colors, um I mean flavors.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duffy's is a great place. I got to visit their studio and talk to them a bit. Joe also works with Chinese students in China, its a pretty cool idea. Their firm is composed of people from all over the world. Have you read BRAND APART (Duffy's book)?

10/16/2006 11:27:00 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

I heard a little about the program in China - it's very interesting. I'd like for that type of thing to go on between lots of different cultures, back and forth. I'd love to attend a program with some leaders in Mexican design, for example.

The BRAND APART book should probably be on my mandatory reads section.

10/16/2006 11:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home