Thursday, November 09, 2006

56. The Bottom Rung.


Oftentimes I find myself giving advice to a creative who is just starting out in the business and only recently have I thought to put that stuff down in writing so that a wider audience may benefit. And it's with that inspiration that I'm starting another series on graphicology called, The Bottom Rung - How to Begin and Foster a Creative Career. I plan on supplementing my own experiences on many subjects with those of some of the best designers, writers and art directors around.

Topics will include such things as 'How to find a good mentor and how to be a good apprentice", "What should I look for in a first job?" and "Becoming Indispensable within the studio/agency environment." We'll also tackle issues important to every designer no matter what their experience level such as: selling your work to a creative director, how to develop good relationships with clients, and becoming more meeting friendly. I'm also open to suggestions for upcoming topics, so email me if you like.

Basically, I'll just keep updating the pdf with a new chapter as they come to me or as I can get contributions from other pros. If you read the introduction, you'll get an idea of how it's going to work. I'm excited about this new venture and hope that you will be too.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason,
I think this is a great topic, I'm sure there are other sources out there that are attempting the same thing, but it takes on a different role when it comes from someone that you know. I've often wondered to myslef and sometims outloud..."what has happened to the mentor and apprentice role and where has it gone." I'm looking forward to every new chapter. Thanks.

Matt from KC

11/10/2006 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

great Matt - good to hear.

Yeah the apprentice method is how you learned a trade or craft for hundreds if not thousands of years and for some reason we have abandoned that primarily for a more scholastic setting. And there's nothing inherently wrong with that - except you have to work hard to find a good mentor, but you're usually too busy fulfilling graduation requirements than shadowing and helping a seasoned veteran. I think if I had to do it over again - I might do more of that.

11/10/2006 03:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home